Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ayoo, Dr King What will You Have Done?


  ‘                                                   Ayoo, Dr King What will you have done?


        Ayoo Dr  king,  recently I   have been brainstorming on a lot of issues and many questions have been running in my small brain on What will you do if you were alive, or to be straight forward how will you react if you were alive today? Before I go any further let me introduce my self to you , I am from Ghana in West Africa,  I first heard of your name when I was in the 7th grade and studying the history of the Black People, my then teacher  may God Bless her soul called you the Black Moses.. She referred to you as the moses of the African Americans who gave his last sermon at the mall of congress, yes she said you were there in  flesh, but couldn't make it in spirit.  How ironic..
   Dr King, as a child I had always been  how eloquent  and patient you were, how smart and  well spoken, I actually tried unsuccessfully to  memorized the ‘I have a dream speech’ without luck. I posted your  picture next to that of Dr Kwame Nkrumah the founder of my country (Ghana), on the walls of my room, Nkrumah  was an eloquent speaker too.  Dr king this weekend we are celebrating yet another holiday in honoring the day you were born, what a great day it always have been.  I wonder if you were contacted before this holiday was instituted, what will you have agree for the whole world to celebrate your day ?
  Not long ago I learnt that you gave a speech which many thought sounded like your own eulogy,  you said when you died, all you want  to be said was how you served others, you didn't want people to mentioned your degrees or your Nobel prize,  You wanted your life to be celebrated as a servant of Humanity, how honorable of you. Guess what Dr King, the whole world  goes into  service hysteria on your birth day, we kept the promise Doctor King!!! we kept the promise!!!!
    Oh did any one bothered to tell you that an African American was elected the president in 2008 and was re-elected again last year his name is Barack Hussein Obama,this year, your birthday was even greater, the president was inaugurated  for his second term and I heard that he used your bible for the swearing ceremony, how Sweet, ‘I know, right’,? 
   Your work and vision just started to manifest. We are still  not there yet though.
   Dr king, we are facing  some of  same issues you fought and died for,   so many years ago after your famous poor people campaign,there is still inequality in health care, education and many more. As a nation we are still divided on many issues from race  to sexual orientation.Women are being paid less than men for same job. You we tragically taken from us 40 years ago, we are still fighting over who can own a gun and how can we  make sure people will not use it for to  violently harm  others. I don't know the statistics of gun and human ration when you were around, but now I think averagely there is one gun per one person, I am sure you will be turning in your peaceful sleep after you read this part. But that is the reality we live in.
   There are also ,many good things that have change.. Do you remember  remember the March you led, that was awesome I wish there is a way  for me to travel back into time.. I will have joined the March just to experience being in the same sphere as you, marching takes different forms now , we have something call face book and twitter where you invite people to March with you , to join hands with you and fight for a common  good of all,  except that it is all virtual, you don't have to be with them in person. I bet you will have loved it. It will have triple the number of your followers.
   Dear King,   all this  while, I haven't ask you my question yet:  I am working with a lot of young people some of whom may walk the path you have paved, and continue to fight against the same forces you fought , the same issues you died for, my question is, if you were  alive today , will you have continue fighting or because there is an African American President , even though many things have not change , you will have retired and say .. Yes we are at the mountain top… Please feel free to email or text me what you may have done if you were alive. I have to meet with the  group of young people I work with so I can tell them what your thought would have been… 
  Your Ardent Admirer
         Pious Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment