Saturday, October 2, 2010

Celebrating Aseel Asleh and Mahatma Ghandi

  October 2nd, means a lot to many people, to those of us who consider ourselves to be  part of the Seeds of peace (extended )family, we remember a young man: Ten years ago a 17 year  young Palestinian peace activist was shot by the Israeli police, as he took part in a peace protest.
  To the world, its the  birthday of Mahatma  Gandhi, the creator of the modern day peace protest. For me the  life of this  gentlemen teaches  one thing, you can never go wrong with peaceful protest , its the answer to many of the problems our world face today from Russia to Rwandan and from Brunei to Brazil all we need is  People like Aseel and Gandhi to lead and the rest of us will follow, even though they are not here with us, they both left behind blue prints of their lives for us to follow. Aseel in the form of a letter he sent to his friends  he met at  the Seeds of Peace Camp and Gandhi in the form of many of the writings he left behind and they both lived by what they believed in.  Please click here to see a video of Aseel's letter read by Peace activists from all over the world in many languages http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9T8GcuX7yA&feature=player_embedded
   And my promise to  Aseel and Gandhi is I will continue to share their stories and their philosophies to many young people  I cross paths with in my life  and I hope you will do same , lets  celebrate their lives for generations to come.

 Quote of the Day
“Nonviolence is a weapon of the strong” Gandhi

 In memory of Aseel  I change the name of this Blog from 'My Thoughts' to  'Peaceful Thoughts'

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for pointing me to your page. This is a positive outlet! Name change is perfect I support this dream and want it to continue too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Mia--I remember Aseel's death and appreciate hearing his words brilliantly by people all over the world. I just finished two days of training Zoroastrian, Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, high school students in Orange County California. Aseels' dream lives on! thanks Pious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Janet, neat to hear of your two days of training in Orange County California. As I get ever near to my graduation, (Spring 2011)I have been regretting that I did not go for teaching. I had an epiphany while reading your message, who says I have to have a teaching degree to teach? Thank you for being the wellspring of truth that I needed to come to this realization. Now, I just need to be brave and find a way to be a part of it all.

    Love that Aseel's dream lives on!!
    I am sorry that I do not remember his death, but since Pious did share of it and his dream, I cannot forget for a lifetime, no NEVER!!

    And, if you believe that souls are continuous, long after my body has died, I hope to still carry Aseel's peaceful thoughts on and on for eternity!!

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete